Pages

Thursday, May 19

Abilities - Chapter One (Part One)

Monday (Part One)

I jerked up, expecting something to launch at me. I had a teddy bear in my hands, but held it as if it were a weapon instead, for the sake of defending myself. 

I looked around, and slowly let my guard down.

I’m in my own bedroom. 

I rubbed the throbbing part of my head while trying to remember yesterday’s events. Wait… was there even a yesterday? I don’t remember the most of Saturday.

I looked at my clock.

Monday morning, 4: 38 am.

Where had Sunday went?

I dared not wake either of my parents, for my dad is very grumpy and my mom’s brain takes hours to wake up after her body. So I just checked the other clocks in my house. All Monday, no Sunday. I feel like I just skipped through time or something, for it was really freaking me out.

After half an hour walking around the house checking all the clocks multiple times, I finally gave in to hygiene and went into my toilet. I imagined myself looking like a drunken man with a hangover.

Suddenly, my body burned, and random parts of my muscles twisted and pinched from the inside. It hurt, and I nearly shrieked. I fell onto the smooth tiled ground, groaning.

But after God-knows-how-long, I finally stood up again. My head was still spinning, and it took me a while to lift my head to look into the mirror.

I nearly fell again.

There was another guy with black, messy hair and skinny features instead of my reflection. What happened to me? Did a mad scientist kidnap me and switched souls with some other drunken man he picked up from the alley? If so, why am I home? What happened to the other me? Oh my GOD, that mad scientist did NOT throw the other me into a bad, dark, gloomy, horrifying and smelly alley! Oh bloody hell; I’m going to strangle that madman when I find him!

Whoa, wait.

His face features are similar to mine. Black eyes, hair that curls up front (except much shorter), and a weird skin complexion (long story). I touched my face, which was really bony, unlike my usual fat self. (Hey, I’m honest here.)

Okay, Nini. That man in the reflection is not you. Close your eyes and count to five. When you open your eyes, you are your usual self again.

One, two, thr-

Oh, crap my body’s having a bad cramp AGAIN! God, it hurts like hell just grew inside of me. I nearly fell again, but made a good grip on the sink. Just when I looked up again, I screamed for real.

I saw my face morphing back into my own self.

I poked my cheek. I pulled my ear. I stroked my hair. It’s me alright.

What. The. Fuck.

Later

The second I walked into school grounds, it was filled with chaos.

People swung over my head as I ran across the field with my hood on. Yes, I was afraid that some fireball / ice-shard / boulder / acidic stuff would fall from above and land on my head. And some fell right in front of me. I shrieked, and tried to go across in a zig-zag pattern. There were juniors screeching out in the corridors, and yes, I could hear them from the grass field. And the seniors were causing mayhem on the basketball field. I groaned and made a run for the junior block, where there’s a ceiling to protect me from fireballs / ice-shards / boulders.

I galloped up the stairs, and strangely I didn’t feel tired when I reached the seventh floor of the building.

After dumping my bag on my seat, I decided to find Night.

‘Hey Zach. Have you seen Night?’ I asked my classmate. Zach is another close friend of mine that sits on my left in class. He grew his hair out to spite his parents (and now has grown only to his shoulders in a pigtail), and takes a huge interest in drawing.

‘No, I haven’t.’ he muttered while continuing to draw in his sketchbook, all the while never sparing me a glance. I silently scowled behind his back before setting off to find Night in the midst of chaos.

It turns out I wasn’t the only one who gained weird abilities overnight (if you don’t include Sunday). Every student I passed was proudly showing off their new-found superpowers, and it made me feel not so special anymore. Well, what did I expect? Why would everyone be screaming on Saturday morning otherwise?

‘NINI!’

Night was running towards me, his hands waving in the air. I was about to brace for the huge glomp, then the violent shaking while screaming in my face.

‘NINI, WHERE ARE YOU! I’M SUFFERING AMIDST THIS CHAOS ALONE!’

But instead, he just ran past me, and I watched him run down the corridor and into my classroom. I walked back into my classroom only to see him hug Zach and mutter nonsense like the talkative man he is.

‘Thank the God, Zach; you’re the only normal guy in this school. I’m starting to go crazy, please protect me from these insane strangers…’ the scene was very comical. Night was clinging onto Zach like some koala bear while the victim was trying to ignore his complaints.

But he didn’t see Zach tear a piece of paper out of his sketchbook. Then he got slapped in the face. The paper stuck onto his face for a minute there as he finally lost his grip on Zach and began to stumble around like a drunk.

Night met Zach through me back when we only started high school, and they’re pretty good together as friends on a normal day. But since Zach is having his emo period now, I guess you can’t really see my point.

Suddenly something crawled out of the paper.

Night shrieked. ‘GHOOOOOOOST!!!’ he started to run around again. The paper finally got out of his sight, and before the both of us could act, he bumped into me. The so-called ‘ghost’ was merely a stick man who wobbled around on its two sticks one would recognize as its legs, and soon disappeared into thin air.

‘Holy crap, sorry, man.’ Night chuckled nervously as he pulled himself away from me. I scowled at him.

‘What are you, a drunk?’

My voice came out really deep and hoarse, and my throat really hurts. I didn’t know I could mimic a man’s voice, but it just came out naturally when I wanted to.But I still don't like that pain that I have to endure.

‘Man, I gotta get back out to find my friend. Sorry for that!’ He chuckled again, and went off, out of my classroom.

I quickly dashed after him, and quickly grabbed him by the collar. He was choking, but managed to stop himself in time. ‘Woah, what the hell?!’

He turned around to face me. ‘What is your problem, man?! Is bumping into a stranger that great a sin?’

‘Not recognizing your friend is even a greater sin.’ I used my real voice this time, and smirked when I saw Night’s expression changed from shock to a blank expression, then into confusion, and much later into panic.

‘Oh my GAWD THE DISEASE HAS TURNED YOU INTO A MAN!!!’ he pointed an accusing finger at me.  

I made a disgusted sound and swatted his hand away. ‘No, you moron, I can still turn back into a woman, Calm down.’

Night suddenly had a twisted look. He always does that when things go unexpected for him. ‘Drat, and I thought I didn’t have to deal with your bitching anymore.’ He pouted.

I tried to whack him in the head, but he dodged the blow. ‘I dare you to say that one more time!’

‘See?! This is what I’m talking about!’ he chuckled.

We had a fight over it, and some of our friends had to pull us apart after the school bell rang. We all went back to our own classrooms. I flopped down on my seat and sighed. I was still a man, and I didn’t want to change back to my normal self because I’m wearing my brother’s old uniform (he graduated, so no biggie).

‘Nini? Is that you?’ Meet Sylvia, another classmate of mine. She sits in front of me, and is currently trying to grow her hair out. But for now it only reached to her shoulders. ‘Is this your ability?’

‘Guess so.’ I shrugged. ‘You?’

‘I don’t know, all I had for today is a massive headache. It’s like I had a hangover I completely forgotten on Sunday or something. But it only started shortly after I arrived.’ She groaned and leaned back on her chair. ‘I should’ve just called in sick, stayed home and miss out on all this destructive chaos.’

‘Damn, what a great idea.’ I agreed.

Our form teacher came in shortly after this conversation, and she had a hard time trying to keep us in line. We refused to keep quiet and kept causing damage in the classroom. Tables burnt, chairs losing their legs, books turned into cabbages (not literally, of course, I mean they’re just as wrinkled as cabbages. If someone really did make some transforming spell on the books like that Fairy Godmother from Cinderella, that’d scare the shit out of me for real).

‘Silence, class! SILENCE!’ her screams were of no use in that current uproar.

‘Silence in the court!’ Klaire joked, but she wasn’t loud enough. She sits on Sylvia’s left, which is also diagonally in front of me. She’s a sports elite, and is quite a violent girl. Like Sylvia, she hasn’t showed any signs of her own ability yet (or worse, won’t have any). He hair is even messier than Night’s, and anyone could mistake her for a guy cross-dressing from the back (she’s a little masculine compared to other females in our class, which appears to be scary in Sylvia’s opinion).

‘Nah, I don’t think anybody cares about law when we have superpowers.’ Sylvia said as she and Klaire turned their chairs back in my direction. Zach was busy drawing again, and we let him be.

We watched as our teacher stormed out of the classroom fuming and complaining how elite classes seem to have the worst attitudes and have no respect for the elders. Not like anyone but we were listening.

‘Guess we’re free now. Woot!’ Klaire made a mini dance with her hands. Even so, she seemed less active than usual. I could tell she’s disappointed about not having any of her own cool, awesome abilities. Sylvia and I shared a knowing glance.

Suddenly…

In a flash, as in literally a flash…

All the lights went off.

‘Peter! Did you fuse the lights with too much electricity again?!’ a girl shrieked from the neighboring class. I turned to look at the accused man, who was busy tickling other people with his strong static. It took him a moment to realize his name had been called. ‘What? Isn’t this a normal blackout?’ he looked clueless when he said that.

Klaire reached for the window and stretched her head out. ‘It’s kinda dark out here too.’

‘So the whole building is on blackout?’ I concluded.

Sylvia suddenly grabbed my arm. I turned to look at her. Her blue eyes were gleaming in the dark, and the pupils look as if they were about to shrink.

‘The control room.’ Her voice was barely a whisper. I could see her eye starting to twitch.

‘Wh…what about the control room?’ I asked.

‘…something’s going on.’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment